Paul Sweeney MP is looking to recruit a Parliamentary Assistant to provide close support and personal assistance in his London office. This will be a part-time role based in the House of Commons office covering 2.5 days in a mid-week arrangement (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday).
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual with a personal commitment to Labour, Co-operative, and Trade Union values; able to work, prioritise and task manage with minimal supervision, with a flexible approach to this varied role. The successful post-holder will have excellent time management skills, will be well-organised and proficient in all aspects of IT and communications. This post is suitable for a degree-level qualified person, or with the equivalent experience working in personal assistant, administrative and research roles.
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant (part-time)
Working For: Paul Sweeney MP
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales.
- Develop and maintain current knowledge of Bills, EDMs, legislation and debates;
- Submit applications for debates, manage requests to speak and urgent questions, and draft written and oral parliamentary questions;
- Undertake research, provide briefings, and write articles on a wide variety of issues;
- Diary management, ensuring the Member is notified of upcoming priorities, and progress routine administration;
- Handle and manage email and telephone enquiries for the Member in the Westminster office;
- Prepare and edit correspondence, communications and other documents;
- Respond effectively to correspondence and enquiries from both constituents and organisations on policy issues;
- Work with stakeholders on a range of campaigns and projects;
- Organise and oversee high-quality events in Parliament;
- Utilisation of social media tools to generate Facebook and Twitter content as required to promote the MP’s work to constituents.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- Excellent rapid research and writing skills, reflecting good attention to detail;
- The ability to take the initiative and prioritise workload under pressure, while ensuring routine tasks are expedited;
- Strong organisational skills to prioritise, with the ability to work efficiently to tight deadlines;
- A good working knowledge of politics and parliament;
- Excellent time management and multitasking skills;
- Confidence and the ability to interact effectively with stakeholders, including the Member’s constituents, visitors, guests, groups;
- An aptitude in the utilisation of all aspects of IT; including use of content/client relationship management systems, social media, website content management systems, and Microsoft Office functionality.
Closing Date: 24 September 2018, with interviews likely to take place on 2nd/3rd October 2018.
To apply for this position please send a single page covering letter with a CV of no more than two pages to email@example.com with “Parliamentary Assistant” in the subject line, or via post to: – Paul Sweeney MP, House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA. If sending by post, please send no later than three working days prior to the closing date.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
This job advert is listed online at W4MP Jobs.