The Data Protection Act 2018 requires that Members of Parliament operate within the provisions of the Act, and the following gives details of how I intend to meet those requirements.

I will treat as confidential any personal information that you pass on to me.  I will normally allow my staff to see this information so that they can find help and advice for you.  In some cases, I may need to give some or all of this information to government departments, agencies and non-departmental public bodies, such as the Home Office, the Department for Work and Pensions, the CSA, or to the House of Commons Library in order to obtain further information about your case.

As your Member of Parliament in the House of Commons, I may take up cases and issues which relate to the UK-wide reserved responsibilities under the Scotland Act.  If you raise a case or an issue which relates to the responsibilities devolved under the Scotland Act, I may take up your case or issue with a Member the Scottish Parliament.  In cases which relate to the statutory responsibilities of local government, I may take up your case or issue with a Member of Glasgow City Council.

If you give me personal information about someone else I may need to check the facts with that person.  Or, if you give me information about, or ask me to take action on behalf of a friend or relative, I may need to ask that person to confirm that they are happy for me to act on their behalf.

Any personal information that you pass on to me will normally be recorded either on paper and/or on a computer for future reference.  If you wish to see any information that I hold about you, please write to me.  You have the right to see or correct contact details that may be held about you either on paper or on computer.

When you raise a case or an issue with me I will normally communicate with you by letter, telephone and email to provide you with updates on the case or issue which you have raised with me.  I will normally retain your details and case notes for a period of five years, or for the length of the Parliamentary term, after you contact me.  You have the right to contact me to have your case closed and/or details destroyed.  I will no longer be able to assist you directly if you advise me that you do not wish to be contacted.

I am required to confirm that you are a constituent resident in the Glasgow North East Burgh Constituency and will normally clarify your full address details if they are not provided, as there is a strict Parliamentary rule that MPs can only help their own constituents.  You can always check in which parliamentary constituency you reside using the Commons Location service at

If you contact me by any method, I will use the details you have supplied to provide updates relevant to the case or issue you raised with me, and non-political, non-marketing news on my work in Parliament and the constituency on your behalf. If you wish to receive a broader update, including news and views on parliamentary politics, you will need to click here to subscribe. If you receive an email newsletter and wish to change your preferences or unsubscribe at a later date, the relevant link is provided in the footer of every communication.  If you receive an update relevant to the subject area you raised with me and no longer wish to receive these, please email or write to me directly. All data is handled and processed subject to the terms of the privacy policy.

This website and its subdomains, including the email services, use cookies to provide functionality and enable the services it can provide.  The cookies allow us to measure the website’s use, provide options, allow personalisation, collect information from optional forms, and to optimise it for search engine visibility.  To revoke the use of the cookies please use the button below.